The AfriSam History



The AfriSam History

Our story begins over 85 years ago with the launch of a seemingly small and insignificant building materials business: Anglovaal Portland Cement Company Ltd. Little did we know that it would lay the foundation for becoming the leading supplier of superior quality construction materials and technical solutions in Southern Africa today. 

In 1935 we built our first cement plant in Roodepoort and just a year later the construction of our first limestone factory commenced. Steady and stable growth was already part of our DNA.

Our merger with Atlas Cement in 1937 meant that we could build on our expertise and provide even better service to our consumers, cementing South Africa’s future and helping to build our country as we know it today. 

By 1966 we had commissioned three cement kilns at our Dudfield Cement Factory and in 1996 we extended our reach into East Africa by acquiring majority shares in Tanga Cement Company PLC, trading under the name Simba Cement. This extension allowed us to develop, produce and distribute cement as far as the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC), Malawi, Rwanda and Burundi. 

After several name changes, mergers, company expansions, technological innovations, and adding a slagment business to our portfolio, the AfriSam brand was born in 2008. Throughout all this time we’ve been building legacies and providing consistent quality, versatility and proven strength to our builders, architects, engineers, contractors and DIY enthusiasts. 

Now we look forward to creating even more concrete possibilities with you.